Program – Pet Therapy
The mandate of this program is to brighten the lives of individuals who are residents to assisted living facilities, and educating the community on the importance of volunteerism.
It has been well documented, through many studies, that pet therapy has a positive effect on an individual’s physical, emotional and mental well-being. It reduces stress, encourages interaction with other people and provides lasting memories of a happy experience. Interaction with birds has proven to reduce blood pressure, increase sensory stimulation, inspire a sense of purpose, and reduce loneliness by creating a sense of companionship.
- Our program is volunteer based and focuses on the rewards of community involvement.
- Our birds are carefully chosen for personality, acceptance of strangers and their desire to show off for a crowd. Our volunteers carefully supervise the handling of all birds.
- Volunteers bring their own birds to retirement homes, hospitals and other facilities where residents benefit from interaction with birds. Special Greyhaven birds are also presented at these events.
- Many people in hospitals or group homes have had to give up their companion bird and they miss the connection they once shared; our intent is to reconnect people with birds through interaction.
- Volunteers and staff at facilities have experienced the wonder of individuals who were non-responsive become animated with happiness and laughter during and after our visits.
- Pet therapy gives people a common interest, provides a focus for conversation, and encourages people to become involved and reconnect with their world.
Pet Therapy Program Highlights:
- Individuals are given the opportunity to have one-on-one contact with the birds.
- Experienced volunteers answer questions and,
- Volunteers and residents share special moments by interacting with each other.
We are booked well in advance for this program. Please send us an email or contact us if you wish to participate in this program. Please contact Greyhaven at:
Phone: 604-878-7212 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of the birds, thank you for your support of Greyhaven Exotic Bird Sanctuary.